Whether your preference is running, gardening, or bicycling, just about any physical activity is good for your body. But some activities are particularly good for burning calories. Below, your trusted California health insurance agent lists five fat-blasting activities to help you burn maximum calories.
- Swimming –– Swimming is the like the “Rocky Balboa” of the calorie burning world — it really packs a punch. Almost nothing burns more calories than vigorous swim. Burn 400-900 calories per hour, depending on your method (e.g. breast stroke, butterfly, etc.).
- Running –– Running burns more calories than walking, but for those with joint concerns, walking is a perfectly fine alternative. Running at a pace of 5 miles per hour will burn 600-800 calories, while walking 3 miles per hour will burn off 250-350 calories.
- Bicycling –– At a pace of 12 miles per hour you can expect to burn 500-700 calories. You can get your daily exercising in by cycling to work.
- Elliptical machine –– Get a heart-pounding, low-impact workout on the elliptical machine, and burn 300-500 calories per hour in the process.
- Zumba –– Part dance party, part aerobic workout, Zumba incorporates hip hop, salsa, merengue, martial arts, and other moves, and it burns 500-700 calories per hour.
You don’t have to join a gym or buy a bunch of equipment to burn calories and keep off the extra pounds. All you need is your own body weight. Even just jogging in place, and doing jumping jacks and push-ups will get your heart rate up and burn calories. Shoot for moderate to vigorous exercise 5-6 days a week, for at least 30 minutes.
*Calorie estimates are based on a 150-pound person working at a moderate to fast pace.